Sunday, October 16, 2011

Frank Sinatra, Puppies, and Violets

As a mom of young children, nice, long showers can be difficult to come by.  So when my husband told me he'd handle supper prep tonight while I took a shower, I was happy to oblige.  He headed to the kitchen, and I headed to the bathroom.  About 5 minutes into my shower, I heard the bedroom door slam. I could recognize that particular door slam just about anywhere.  It is the property of a little blond girl who looks almost exactly like this:  


Now, this is Violet.  She is a little girl with a big way about her.  I don't want to put it in negative terms... not attitude or naughtiness really... just personality plus.  She also has a habit if shutting doors with flair.  The doors of our house shudder when they see her coming, and the entire household wakes up with her.

On this particular occasion, Violet wasn't mad or even annoyed.  She was just being her cute, little, door-slamming self.

She said in her sweet voice, "Mommy?"

I replied, "Yes? What ya doin', baby?"

"Mommy, I got poops."

"You do?  Want me to change your diaper?"

"Yep."

"You know daddy's out there, right?  Maybe he could change it for you since I'm in the shower."

"Nah.  I want you do it."

"Um, okay.  You'll have to wait till I get out."

"Okay, I'll wait here."

Now, I know this is trouble.  She's in the master bathroom which is full of fun and exciting things for children of all ages (toilet brushes, tooth brushes, makeup brushes, and hair brushes), but Violet thinks she's a princess.  I don't know why she thinks this.  We've not indoctrinated her with princess talk.  I honestly have never had a princess in the house.  The other two girls might have gone through a month or two phase of wanting to dress up in a dress or crown, but these days they'll barely touch a dress with a ten foot pole.  Violet is entering about month 6 of trying on every shoe in the house - especially the ones with heels.  She loves jewelry - the bigger the better.  She stands next to me during every makeup application begging for her "share" of the pretty paint.  She carries not just one but several purses around the house and bids everything smaller than her (which in our house only includes pets and stuffed animals right now) to submit to her governing authority.
The "rest of the story" from the above photo.  Violet with 4 purses and some sweet heels...
Last Sunday morning, she crawled into bed with us and told my husband that she needed him to make her a horse.  "Make you a horse?" he asked groggily.  "YES," she replied with urgency. "Because princesses need horses to ride, and I am a princess."  Ugh... all I can think is, "Is this going to be a long next 16 years or so?"

Well, she passed the time in our bathroom trying on my glasses, jewelry, shoes, and about anything else she could find... as I tried to finish my shower at warp speed.  Violet is extremely "helpful".  She spends half our mealtimes getting everyone extra napkins and facilitating the passing of food and condiments.  Helpful as she is, when I got out, she was kind enough to give me a towel.  She wanted to help put lotion on my legs, and was doing so, but her overwhelming diaper stench was stinking up my sweet smelling lotion space, and I said, "You stink.  Are you sure you don't want dad to change your diaper?  He offers a great full-service poopy diaper change, you know?  Three wipe minimum, a little powder, and a kiss when you're all done.  If I wore a diaper, I'd be happy to have him change mine."  She looked at me with her head tilted to the side (kind of like a confused puppy), and smiled broadly saying, "No, I want you change it."  I acquiesced - to the smile, the smell, and the sweetness of the request (not to mention what turned out to be well-founded concerns of the very real possibility that daddy might be overwhelmed trying to cook dinner all by himself), and after I got dressed we got her diaper changed.

A little while later I found myself wondering if everyone says weird things like that to their kids.  I talk to her about things she can't possibly understand because it's fun.  Don't get me wrong, I like to try to get daddy to change her diaper sometimes.  I think it provides good "quality time".  I have to be honest.  I'm at the stage where I'm between wanting another baby to cuddle and being so happy I'm not dealing with cribs, high chairs, and other baby paraphernalia anymore.  I'm more on the second side.  And, as Austin likes to remind me, I'll probably have grandchildren before my kids are even all out of the house.  Ah, the joys of big families...  Not hoping to rush any of that, but since he's 13 years older than Violet, he's probably right.  Mark and I got a surprise pregnancy 3 months into our marriage, and Levi was born on our 1st anniversary.  So we've been dealing with diapers since early in our marriage, and I dare say it will be a happy day in this house when the last diaper has been changed.  Mark has been offering the kids a bounty to whoever potty trains her... which is way easier said than done.  She's keenly aware of what everyone else in polite society does, but she likes the convenience of her own way - not unlike Frank Sinatra and puppies.





No comments: