Monday, April 19, 2010

Not A "Failer"

Computers: On a good day, they can be my best friend - a gift seemingly heaven-sent. On the other hand, on a bad day, they can be the most fiendish instrument of torture, ever to bedevil the days of mankind. We just bought an iMAC, and it is an odd combination of heavenly and straight from the bowels of hell. Avoiding the complexities of computer-speak, as I'm sure any men reading this would be compelled to try to solve this problem for me, let's just say I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to figuring out computers. However tonight, following a round of "stump the condescending Geek Squad guy" and downloading shareware in order to reformat an external hard drive that refuses to be reformatted... ugh... you get the drift. I'm obsessed by it. This machine is conquering me.

After retreating to bed with my proverbial "tail between my legs" resounding in my head was a word... "FAILURE"... an ugly word, to be sure, but one that crops up for me every now and again. I don't even know exactly why. I'm not particularly prone to fail, but the thought leads to a feeling which leads to an action which leads to a result, and on the cycle continues. However, this occasion I was reminded of a time about 6 or 7 years ago. I was riding in a vehicle with Brett & Sadie who was, at the time, somewhere between 2 and 3 years of age. I remember throwing up my hands in frustration and saying to Brett, "Sometimes I just feel like such a F-A-I-L-U-R-E!" Now I spelled, because I didn't want Sadie to pick up on such a negative word. Sadie was an early talker - putting 2-3 words together by 7 months of age. At the time, of course, since she was my first child I was pretty sure she was a genius, but I've since come to find her very bright, along the lines of most children her age I would imagine. I don't consider her particularly advanced. However, that night, from a tiny little voice in a car seat in the back of our van, came these words, "Mom, you're not a 'failer'." Huh? I'm sorry, but how could she have possibly had a clue what I was spelling? I'm not even sure her dad had kept up with me.

This incident was brought starkly to my mind tonight as I struggled over my seeming inadequacy to understand such a simple task. I personally believe that God doesn't allow a single thing into my life that He won't use to grow me, remind me, love me, or discipline me. I know many would disagree with me, but it's an approach to life that has given me peace as I walk along what are sometimes discouraging paths. As long as I believe there is a point to my present circumstances, I find myself much more able to endure them with patience and a positive attitude.

The point is, I AM, in fact, a "failer". I do, at times, fail to do things that I should. I fail to thank someone who deserves it. I fail to encourage a child who needs it. I fail to treat my husband with respect or love. I fail to remove a grilled cheese from the griddle before it gets burned on one side (resulting in a scraping of the burnt part into the trash - hopefully before anyone has noticed it was ever tainted). However, if I were to let those types of events define who I am, I would feel like a failUre all the time. What a difference a "u" can make. "Failers" can learn from their mistakes, but "failures" are too beaten down and full of self-pitty to attempt to rise above that little letter "u".

Maybe it was a miracle that my sweet baby girl spoke that truth into my life all those years ago. What she meant so sweetly still resonates with me clearly today. I'm not a "failure". I am weak, but that's by design. I can thank the Lord for it, because 2 Cor. 12:9-10 says, "9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

By God's grace, I am certainly STRONG tonight, and that's a much easier word to sleep on. :)


No comments: